On August 24th, 2018 I gave a talk at the EuRuKo 2018 conference in Vienna.
I named my talk ”Ducks and Monads: Wonders of Ruby Types” because I wanted to speak about Ruby’s type system and how we can use types to build type-safe applications.
Spoiler alert: there was nothing about the ducks. Sorry!
However, I’ve managed to cover those topics:
- What is a data type?
- Why do we need to care about types in a dynamically typed languages?
- Two harmful methods from ActiveSupport
- How to use the best parts of static typing in Ruby
- How to make errors a first-class concern in your application
- Working with the Result monad in Ruby
Slide deck is available here.