My talk’s name was «Модель С4. Зачем нам моделировать архитектуру». I roughly translate it as “C4 model. Why do we need to model architecture”.
In this talk I introduced the audience to the four definitions of software architecture and illustrated how those definitions apply to every day work.
- The one given in Synopsys blog
- Definition from ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011
- Two definitions by Marin Fowler and Ralph Johnson, published in Fowler’s blog
Afterwards, I’ve assessed our “usual” approaches to software architecture:
- When do we need it
- What kind of tasks do we perform while working on the architecture
- What problems do we usually face
I’ve proposed a solution to some of the problems — to develop a mental model which will help with discovery, planning, visualization and presentation of the architecture. I suggested C4 model as a starting point.
Afterwards, I’ve illustrated how the model easily gives us a natural way to think about architecture. The same technique enables us to illustrate architecture with no technology except for pen and paper.
Slide deck is available on my website.